Google
 

Monday, July 16, 2007

Antidepressants and Bone Loss

I had a bad fall on Saturday. I was at the off-leash area with my dog and I wasn't watching where I was going until I fell flat on my face. I attempted to catch myself, but about a nanosecond before I hit the ground I realized that it was no use and I let myself go limp. I think that the limpness helped and I was able to walk away with nothing more than a severely bruised knee.

I was lucky. Even so, the accident made me think about my potential for bone breakage. I'm only 35, but I was diagnosed with Premature Ovarian Failure (POF) over 1-year ago. The condition leaves me prone to severe bone loss and fracture during my middle-aged years. For more information on POF, please see my Helium article "Premature Ovarian Failure Examined" http://www.helium.com/tm/91056/under-having-erratic-periods.

The fall also brought to mind a blog post that I had seen last month at Anxiety, Addiction and Depression Treatments http://www.treatmentonline.com/treatments.php?id=1399 citing a study that found that certian antidepressant medications can also cause bone loss for women over 50. The study was not conclusive, but I wonder if my generic Prozac will cause bone loss in addition to that lost due to my POF.

I have a 6-month old order from my doctor to get a bone density scan. Maybe it's time for me to finally get that done!

1 comment:

Guilty Secret said...

Yes, you must get that scan! Don't put it off any more! Hope your knee is better now,
GS